Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Just found this somewhere, don't know if I ever posted it on here - if I didn't here it is! It's pretty old, but I still agree with it...

It annoys me when I see people doing or saying things because they want to be a certain kind of person. They look at a category or a stereotype and decide that that is the image they want to potray. I understand that people need these categories in order to make sense of the world around them, and that not everyone has the same categories, but I wish there were more people who were willing to only be influenced by them, not dictated to by categories. People tend to feel uneasy around people who don't seem to behave in the norm. If they've just stepped out of a mental institution, then maybe its justified. However, most unusual people have not just broken free of a mental asylum, but people are still unsure. It makes sense I suppose. People don't know how to deal with something/someone that they have no experience of or have not learnt about. What is it about people that makes us yearn for order and groupings? Is it just so that we know how to deal with and exist in the world around us? For survival - dangerous/safe? Thats what it all seems to come down to in the end. Survival. But I don't like that. Its so cold and unfeeling. My personal experience of life hasn't been like that, and even the unfortunate people I've met who do struggle to survive -they are not like that. Occasionally you sense a sort of numbness, tiredness....but always feeling. I don't know. I really do talk bollocks sometimes.

No comments: