Wednesday, February 21, 2007

On Karate...

The sensei has started to separate the classes to kumite on Tuesdays and kata on Fridays. I kinda like kumite, but most of the time the idea of being in an actual fight scares the crap out of me (yes, I'm a girly wimp, so what?)

But yesterday...I got such a buzz out of it. I was kicked in the chest (by accident) and while it hurt, and had she done it harder she would have broken a few ribs...it wasn't that bad. It also made me move quicker! Obviously we use pads when we are using speed and power - but I get some weird kick (no pun intended) out of seeing the other person take a step back becuase of the power of my kick. I'm not saying I'm great or anything - I was against a bunch of lower belts! But it was cool all the same. I think I'd probably be rubbish at proper kumite though - I don't move fast enough and I'm probably not strong enough!

One great thing I like about karate though, is the belief that the sensei has in you. In school, if you weren't naturally good at sport, you were left to your own devices. But here...if you're not good, it's because you aren't trying hard enough, not because you can't do it.

I think that was all I needed when growing up at school - just someone to tell me that I could if I tried, instead of 'don't bother because you're not good enough'...but I can't change the past, and I have that now. Only downside is that he looks *so* disappointed when he thinks you're not trying - which has exactly the effect he wants on me.

It makes me try harder :)

No comments: