Friday, June 29, 2007

A lot have people have been asking me what London was like - did I enjoy it? Mostly I say that I really enjoyed it, but that I couldn't live there forever. A year for my masters is no problem, but to settle there for the rest of my life? I don't think I could.

It is an amazing city, full of opportunities and culture. But it is also full of rude, unhelpful people who are perfectly nice in themsleves, but as soon as they are communting/generally out on the streets, woe betide anyone that tries to chat to them or even worse, gets in their way! It's so polluted I could physically feel the extra grime on my skin and hair - and see it when I cleansed my skin at night. It's a minor thing, but the water tastes rank. Last but not least - it's the most ridculously overpriced place I have ever been to. The other night I went for a thai meal with my friends here in Manchester - we all had starters and a main; the food tasted good, service was dodgy but friendly and the meal came to £35 for 3 of us (non-alcoholic drinks though). That would be almost unheard of in London. And it's not just food - it's transport, drinks, entertainment (£10 for a cinema ticket!!), accommodation. I'm just not sure it's worth it.

For me Manchester has enough. It's multi-cultural, has a wide range of bars and restaurants, its cheap and easy to travel around, the people are definitely friendlier - and I like the water!

But you know what? It's hard spending all day by yourself. Even though I'm meeting up with my friends in the evening, somehow it isn't the same. I have plenty to keep myself occupied (I'm working on a research project for my local hospital) but I miss the buzz of working with other people like I did during my internship. Having other people to joke with or listen to. I suppose it's natural to want company though. So much time alone also gives me way too much time to worry. About my dad and having not heard from him for a while, about finding somewhere to live next year, about what I'm going to do after that year, and a whole host of other tiny things. Everyone has worries, but when you have other people to distract you they don't play on your mind so much I guess.

So in summary: I enjoyed London but don't want to live there forever. I love Manchester but miss working with people like I did in London! :)

No comments: