Thursday, November 08, 2007

On happiness

Been meaning to link to this for *ages* but I just re-read it so here it is:

Is Happiness Enough?

It's basically I debate I had with myself a lot when I was growing up which this person articulates quite well. I also think the point he makes about ignoring the suffering on your own doorstep is a very true one. Maybe because it's easier to deal with suffering that you mainly experience through words and a tv screen? When it's where you live, it's harder to look at it objectively sometimes, and easier to see it as something that is just part of the area - that would be too hard to change. Maybe because if it's where you live, there's that possibility that you are partly responsible for it - because you are part of the society that has developed a situation where some people are well off and some people struggle to pay the rent.

But these are just the musings of a girl. There are times when I wonder if it's even worth trying because the task of trying to make the world a better place just becomes harder and harder the more I learn about it.

No comments: