Thursday, November 25, 2004

I went to see Nitin Sawhney and the Britten Sinfonia last night...it was AWESOME! I've been listening to Nitin Sawhney's music since I was 17 or so, was amazing to finally see him live :)

Its so easy to lose yourself in his music; his songs often have a haunting quality about them. I think I like some of his songs because I'm able to identify with the meanings too sometimes. Homelands for example is about a feeling of isolation from coming from a different culture, something I used to feel when I was in school (primary school mostly). Its strange, don't even really think about it now unless someone asks.

I was also thinking while I was watching... it must be an amazing feeling to have composed something in your head, and know what you want it to sound like, then hear it played by an orchestra or sung by someone with the right kind of voice. He was playing his guitar on stage, the Britten sinfonia being behind him and the other soloists in line with him on stage, and I could imagine him sitting in his house playing with his guitar, imagining all the other instruments... and now there it was right behind him.

I'd love to be able to compose music :)

No comments: