Tuesday, March 01, 2005

I had a really interesting lecture on genetic cloning today. How they do it, all the ethical implications etc. My course makes me think about my beliefs and the big questions in life on a regular basis...I'm so glad I'm doing it! I constantly have to re-assess what I believe, and whether I actually believe anything at all.

In anatomy sessions, I sit there and see how amazingly complicated the human body is...and I can understand why people say it must have been designed by 'God' or something similar. But I've also learnt about evolution, about how complex that is and can see how something like the mamalian body could have evolved and developed over a long period of time. It's all so confusing! Logically...ignoring my upbringing, I'm inclined to say that it's all a process of random evolution. But somehow, the idea of a god of some sort existing can be comforting. It's an easy anwser out of things at any rate, maybe. There's so many possibilities...maybe god directs evolution? But again, it seems illogical....

Our genetics lectures also end up making me ask the same questions...it's all so complicated and detailed, we don't even understand some of what happens...yet there are imperfections in the system. Mistakes are made (often resulting in the processes that allow evolution!). Is that the consequence of an imperfect design, or no design at all? just a system that appeared how ever many years ago and seemed to work?

*Sigh* So many questions, so few answers...

No comments: