Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Went down to London yesterday to look at the foreign and commonwealth office careers open day. It actually looked really interesting - everyone I spoke to seem to be happy where they were, and the one person who wasn't completely happy in the job they were currently doing, they didn't want to leave the FCO. Main appeal is that you get to help people out and travel! I'm going to apply when the faststream open in september...then we'll have to wait and see!!

On the journey back up here, I was chatting to the guy opposite (well, he was chatting to me more, but it amounts to the same thing!) He was about 40 and had had so many different jobs...he'd been in the navy, been a paramedic, done a business studies degree, been a PA and was now a professional diver- what an awesome job! But what struck me most was how content he seemed. He had a partner, a daughter, was doing something he enjoyed for a living...and while he wasn't loaded, he gave the impression he had enough to be pretty comfortable with. He really opened up to me as well, which was heartwarming (apparently he told me some stuff about his paarmedic job that he hadn't really talked about much before, I'm starting to think I must just have a 'tell me your life story and problems face'!).

This guy really made me think. In 20 years time, I want to have travelled, done the things in my life that I really want to do...I want to give off that air of contentment that this man had.

Funny thing is, I never even found out his name :)

No comments: