Friday, December 24, 2004

I've lived in the same village/town my whole life, going from one end to the other when we moved house. Up until 3 or 4 years ago, it was pretty much as it had always been in my memory, but lately recently I've noticed it being taken over by corporate businesses, and I don't like it!

The 1st thing that came was a blockbuster and tesco express, which is undeniably useful, but I would have preferred something less, well, corporate I suppose. I was happy with it though, becuase there had been talk of a Mcdonalds for the plot of land, which would have been even worse in my opinion.

Next came the redevelopment of a petrol station, which became a Domino's and something else I can't remember. A Pizza Hut has now sprung up too. That doesn't sound so bad, but because of their arrival, the more local pizza place had to shut down.

In the shopping precint down the road, all the shops used to be small chains or local ones. Oxfam and somerfield were probably the only big names. There is also a Monkhouses, which is huge, but sells sportswear and school uniforms, and has been vital to lots of parents in South Manchester! Even they have sold a part of their shop to 'Bargain Booze'. eugh.

The local newsagent in the precint, which has had the same old man in it for years has now become massive! He looks odd in there now, and all it sells is bits and bobs in large quantities, nothing better thna they used to sell. A clothes store has even appeared, and ok the clothes are kind of 30ish to middle aged, but it has proper fitting rooms! This is no village shop!

They're also trying to turn our next door neighbours house into a block of flats. (Next door have agreed to this) We've already objected once, but they've re-applied again. I just hope its not some concrete/brick monstrosity.

The final straw, is that I've heard they might be building on the one bit of land that is still green here. Its open fields with a river, and I couldn't bear to see it go. I don't know if its true. I'll have to go down and check to make sure, but at the rate things have been changing lately, I wouldn't be entirely surprised.

I think when I'm older, I'm going to live in a small village, that is near a town but surrounded by countryside. Ideally it would also be near the sea, and will take years for any massive corporate national businesses to take over. Hmm.

No comments: