Sunday, January 20, 2008

I was on my way to a friend's house this evening, when a lady asked me for money as I was buying a ticket. Normally I say sorry and move on, but something about this woman made me stop and listen. It probably helped that she was polite (she apologised for interrupting my ticket buying and said she'd wait till I was done), then when I was done , she proceeded to say that she wasn't a beggar and she was really sorry. Something about her manner made me want to at least hear her out - so I did.

She told me she was running away from an abusive partner, she showed me the bruises on her legs, said there were more on her back and that he had knocked her tooth out. She was apologising throughout her story, saying that she had money but the guy had snapped her card. She didn't look drunk, or like she was on drugs - she just looked afraid. I was listening to her story, but more than that I couldn't stop looking at her eyes - it was genuine fear. She wanted some money to get to a hostel she was planning on staying at that night. I was considering giving her the money when she tried to give me her engagement ring (which was definitely real). At that point I'd heard and seen enough and gave her some money. Not the full amount because a) I didn't have the amount she wanted in coins and b)I still had that doubt because in the end, you are giving money to a total stranger and she was asking for more than small change.

I'll never know if she really was telling the truth, but I know what I saw in that woman's face and it was overwhelmingly fear, that I know. Maybe I shouldn't have given her the money, but I think I would have regretted it if I didn't, and well, I don't like regrets.

No comments: